John Mellencamp Community
May 04, 2024, 01:19:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: King-Mellencamp 'Ghost' musical is ready for stage  (Read 7956 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:59:24 am »

ATLANTA -- Horror writer Stephen King says his first play, "The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," featuring haunting melodies by rocker John Mellencamp, is finally ready for the stage.

The musical, based on a legend about the deaths of two brothers and a girl at a rural cabin, was originally scheduled to debut at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre two years ago, but was postponed.

King says Mellencamp and the play's director weren't getting along. The new director is Susan Booth.

King says Mellencamp wanted it set in the South because he admires Tennessee Williams. King says that worked for him because he'd been reading William Faulkner novels.

He says the play, which opens next April, was designed for a small stage, small cast and small technical requirements, "sort of the anti-Spiderman."

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/05/25/entertainment-us-people-stephen-king_8484031.html
dolly23
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:41:39 am »

Hoping it makes a NYC debut!
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:45:51 am »

King says Mellencamp and the play's director weren't getting along. The new director is Susan Booth
Cheesy
mellenq
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:11:55 am »

Mellencamp and the director not getting on?  Nah, you're kidding me, right?  LOL!!!! Wink

love  ya, John.  haha!!!!

only promises I know to be true, are the promises made from the heart. ~MQDU~
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:26:48 pm »

Longer version of the article:

Horror writer Stephen King's first play, The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, featuring haunting melodies by rocker John Mellencamp, is finally ready for the stage.

The musical was originally scheduled for its debut at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre in 2009 but was postponed. It's now set to open next April at the Alliance.

Mellencamp and the play's director weren't getting along, King said Tuesday at the Alliance's season preview presentation. The new director is Susan Booth, the company's artistic director.

The project originated about 11 years ago, King said.

“John had an idea that he wanted to do a play about ghosts in a cabin and how sibling rivalries and resentments are carried down from generation to generation,” King said.

He said Mellencamp told his agent he wanted a writer like Stephen King and discovered that the two had the same agent.

They got together and agreed to try to write the play, King said. “One of the reasons to do it was because I never had, and John felt the same way.”

King said he outlined a story incorporating live brothers and dead brothers.

“John wanted it to be in the South because he's a big admirer of Tennessee Williams. I was fine with that because I'd been reading a lot of William Faulkner, and those voices were in my head.”

The show eventually may make it to New York, but King said he wasn't thinking big.

“I wrote a play that we aimed at the idea of a small stage, a small cast and small tech requirements, sort of the anti-Spider-Man. John wanted real Americana music, blue jeans music, and I loved that idea. We wanted six or seven instruments, an acoustic kind of sound, like Big River.”

In writing the play, King kept the musical side in mind. “I said, ‘This song goes here, and it's got to be a song about brothers singing to each other who hate each other.’ So John would write a song.”

Mellencamp wrote all the lyrics as well as the music, King said. “Believe me, I can't write songs. Songs and poetry are just outside my field.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/theatre/stephen-king-john-mellencamp-musical-ready-for-the-stage/article2034283/?utm_medium=Feeds:%20RSS/Atom&utm_source=Theatre&utm_content=2034283&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: