John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 06:23:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tour Dates Announced  (Read 9401 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:13:13 pm »

2011 Dates Announced for John Mellencamp’s No Better Than This Tour

Tickets on Sale Oct. 15 @ 10 AM

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With initial dates for the first leg of John Mellencamp’s No Better Than This Tour starting at the end of this month, a new set of Mellencamp concert appearances that begin in February of next year has just been announced. The tour, designed as a uniquely formatted “evening with,” brings Mellencamp’s music to theater-sized venues, a rare opportunity to experience one of America’s most iconic songwriters and performers in an intimate setting, highlighting all phases of his artistry.

The new No Better Than This Tour dates commence in early February in New England and continue on to two stops in Canada before heading south to New York, Washington, Philadelphia and into the Carolinas and Florida. Tickets for these dates go on sale Friday, October 15 at 10 AM.

The tour will feature classic Mellencamp material associated with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee over the course of his 35 year long career as well as the new music from No Better Than This. The album, released by Rounder Records, held the top spot on the Americana Music Chart for five straight weeks and was produced by T Bone Burnett. It was recorded in three historic locations in the American South: Savannah’s First African Baptist Church, Sun Studio in Memphis and Room 414 of San Antonio’s Gunter Hotel where Robert Johnson recorded in 1936. The sessions were documented on a 55-year-old mono tape recorder using just one vintage microphone at each location. Rolling Stone’s review of the album noted, “Mellencamp has never sounded looser or easier on a record,” suggesting the artist was “channeling spirits and stepping into period styles. They fit him perfectly." The Americana Music Association honored Mellencamp last month with its Lifetime Achievement Award for Songwriting, presented by Rosanne Cash.

Tickets bought for the newly announced dates include the cost of a digital download of No Better Than This. Details regarding how to redeem the album download will be sent via email a few days following purchase to ticket download buyers. A tutorial outlining this process will be posted on Mellencamp.com.

As a reflection of the diversity of styles and material that have been a hallmark of Mellencamp’s eclectic career, the concerts are formatted into three segments. These showcase John Mellencamp in an acoustic context, fronting a small combo recalling blues/country and rockabilly roots and with his full rock band. Musicians backing Mellencamp include Michael Wanchic (guitar), Andy York (guitar), Miriam Sturm (violin), John Gunnell (electric and upright bass), Dane Clark (drums) and Troye Kinnett (accordion/keyboards).

Of special note is the fact that the tour’s “opening act,” is a documentary film by Kurt Markus entitled It’s About You. Shot on Super8 film over the course of last year’s Bob Dylan-John Mellencamp-Willie Nelson tour of minor league baseball stadiums, it chronicles the creation of No Better Than This while serving as a cinematic ‘think piece’ on the state of the country at the end of the first decade of the 21st Century. Markus, whose still work has put him in the front ranks of contemporary American photographers, has been cited for his extraordinary vision of his work documenting the American West and is the recipient of Life Magazine’s Alfred Eisenstaedt Photography Award. Ticket holders are urged to get to their respective No Better Than This Tour venues on time to be on hand for the film’s start.

Mellencamp noted, “I’m very excited to have the opportunity at this time in my life to go on tour and present these songs in this manner.”

Fans should to log on to www.mellencamp.com for the most up-to-date concert and ticket on-sale information.

John Mellencamp No Better Than This Tour, promoted by AEG Live on sale 10/15/10 at 10 AM

Feb. 3 - Lowell, MA - Lowell Memorial Auditorium

Feb. 4 - Waterbury, CT - Palace Theatre

Feb. 6 - Ottawa, ON - National Arts Centre

Feb. 9 - Toronto, ON - Massey Hall

Feb. 15 - Washington, DC - DAR Constitution Hall

Feb. 18 - New York, NY - Radio City Music Hall*

Feb. 21 - Philadelphia, PA - Academy Of Music

Feb. 24 - Richmond, VA - Landmark Theatre

Feb. 26 - Columbia, SC - Township Auditorium

Feb. 27 - Atlanta, GA - Fox Theatre

Mar. 1 - Durham, NC - Durham PAC

Mar. 3 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Broward Center

Mar. 4 - Clearwater, FL - Ruth Eckerd Hall

Mar. 5 - Jacksonville, FL – Times Union Center Moran Theatre

* Radio City Music Hall tickets on sale Saturday, Oct. 16 at 11 AM

Previously announced (on sale now):

Oct. 29 - Bloomington, IN - Indiana University Auditorium

Oct. 30 – Bloomington, IN – Indiana University Auditorium

Nov. 1 - Cincinnati, OH - Music Hall

Nov. 3 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium

Nov. 5 - Kansas City, MO – The Midland by AMC

Nov. 6 – St. Louis, MO - Fabulous Fox Theatre

Nov. 8 - Indianapolis, IN - Clowes Memorial Hall

Nov. 11 - Indianapolis, IN - Hinkle Fieldhouse

Nov. 13 - South Bend, IN - Morris Performing Arts Center

Nov. 16 - Fort Wayne, IN - Embassy Theatre

Nov. 17 – Cleveland, OH – Palace Theater

Nov. 19 – Detroit, MI –Fox Theatre

Nov. 20 - Pittsburgh, PA - Heinz Hall*

Nov. 22 - Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre (1)

Nov. 23 - Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre (1)

Nov. 26 - Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre** (1)

Nov. 27 - Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre** (1)

(1) Co-promoted with Jam Productions
richm752
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:37:01 am »

So........I guess I can return to work for a month and not worry about a ticket sale for the west coast?

RichM752rnEverything is cool as can be in a peaceful world.rnrnrnrnrn
mellenhead95
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:30:32 pm »

Hopefully Texas will be announced after the Florida shows. Last time I saw Mellencamp was in 2005 when he toured with John Fogerty, which was an awesome show. Please Come back to Dallas!!
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:02 pm »

So........I guess I can return to work for a month and not worry about a ticket sale for the west coast?

It is very possible that within the next month the third leg will be announced and start going on sale.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

*Happy Dance*

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
richm752
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile