John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 05:43:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update On the Ron Kelly Portrait of John for Charity  (Read 12515 times)
sharonc
Administrator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:30:21 am »

We recently heard from uber fan Ron Kelly giving us an update on the pencil drawings of John he drew and then sold for charity, he wanted to report back where the funds he raised went!

On July 14, 2012 during Marilyn Mellencamp's art show at S.I.C.A I presented a check for $1,000.00 to Janet Kiel (John's sister). This money is the last of what I have been able to raise over the past several years from the drawing. (All 200 are gone now).

With the passing of Marilyn, I donated $500.00 to the Community Foundation of Jackson County for the Marilyn Mellencamp Scholarship for the Arts fund and an additional $500.00 was given to S.I.C.A. for several students of the Seymour Redding Elementary School to attend an art class free of charge.

That brings the total amount of money donated from this drawing to $2,500.00. The previous donations made were $1,000.00 to S.I.C.A., and $500.00 to the Leadership Jackson County to help pay for the "Hometown of John Mellencamp" portion of the large "Welcome to Seymour" sign that the city installed. 

Take care. - Ron Kelly

Below is our original post:

Hey all,

I wanted to pass on a message from long time Mellencamp fan/fan club member Ron Kelly. Ron has a charity project he has worked on for the last decade and wanted to remind folks of the offer:

From Ron Kelly

I thought now might be a good time to post this message as we near the Christmas season so all Mellencamp fans could put this gift idea on their want list. I am selling an 11x17" limited edition print duplicated from a very detailed pencil portrait of John Mellencamp that I drew myself. Prints are individually numbered and limited to only 200 copies. I asked and got John's permission for this project of charity, at which time I gave him the #1 print- (see John with drawing in photo). The original drawing was done from a photo I took of John at a fan club convention held at Seymour, Indiana in 1998. 100% of profit made from the sale of these prints will be donated to a Seymour, In. elementary school for students to use toward art classes at the Southern Indiana Center for Art. This art center, also located in Seymour, was made possible by John Mellencamp. I have already made two donations with profit raised from the prints sold so far- (see newspaper clipping in photo). $1,000.00 and a framed #200 print was given to the Southern Indiana Center for Art. Another $500.00 was donated to the city of Seymour to help pay for a large sign located at the city limits announcing it as the "Hometown of John Mellencamp". The drawing shown in this photo is an actual print like you will receive. The cost of each print is $15.00, which includes the tube and shipping cost. There are currently only 22 left and then they will be gone forever. If you don't make it in time for Christmas, I will continue to sell these until gone. This is a great way to display our favorite singer/songwriter in your home, and at the same time to help raise some money for some kids to find out how enjoyable art can be. Thank you very much for your support. Please send your $15.00 check or money order to Ron Kelly- 1490 E. 600 N. Alexandria, Indiana 46001

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:01:38 am by TonyBClubManager » Logged
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:54 pm »

My husband and I saw Ron there at the event. That was awesome of him to do that.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: