John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 09:26:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamilton, Ontario show  (Read 29865 times)
fivetornadoes
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 06:35:46 pm »

The song Fivetornatoes was not sure about was
"Circling Around the Moom" from Mr Happy Go lucky CD realeased in 1996

note to self...give mister happy go lucky another spin soon

thanks!
ashylarry
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 10:19:36 am »

saw John in Greensboro on the 6th. I too was cheated. We had orchestra seats and were totally disgusted with the sound. The first set was loud, muddy mix,all bass and drums with no vocals. Second acoustic set i thought John forgot how the songs went,as if he didn't want to be there. The third set with full drums and electric bass was more than the inept sound man could handle, maybe because his unprofessional self was trying to hook up with a fan during the movie. I like Mellencamp and  his music, knew Andy in high school (Scorchers,Mott the Hoople) and wanted to see if his skills had improved. I think the business of music and slick production has driven artists to tell the same "Buddy" stories over and over and not concentrate on the job at hand. 830 to 1030 is a good gig if you can get it! I still love his songs and on his stage it probably sounded good, but whoever got the nod for the house P.A. don"t deserve a Christmas bonus! $90 a ticket was too high,$9 for a 24oz. Bud Light was OK. but....I ain't ever satisfied...
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:00:05 am »

$9 for a 24oz

ok? for 9 it should have been a darn good beer.
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 01:20:14 pm »

saw John in Greensboro on the 6th. I too was cheated. We had orchestra seats and were totally disgusted with the sound. The first set was loud, muddy mix,all bass and drums with no vocals. Second acoustic set i thought John forgot how the songs went,as if he didn't want to be there. The third set with full drums and electric bass was more than the inept sound man could handle, maybe because his unprofessional self was trying to hook up with a fan during the movie. I like Mellencamp and  his music, knew Andy in high school (Scorchers,Mott the Hoople) and wanted to see if his skills had improved. I think the business of music and slick production has driven artists to tell the same "Buddy" stories over and over and not concentrate on the job at hand. 830 to 1030 is a good gig if you can get it! I still love his songs and on his stage it probably sounded good, but whoever got the nod for the house P.A. don"t deserve a Christmas bonus! $90 a ticket was too high,$9 for a 24oz. Bud Light was OK. but....I ain't ever satisfied...

I'll reply to this because I get to a lot of shows, as does Sharon. The sound on this tour is generally very exceptional and we see tons of positive comments. The company that John hires to do the sound is the best in the business.

There are always some spots in the house that have less than ideal sound. Generally if you are in the front 10 rows, especially center or right in front of the speakers on the side, the sound can be less than perfect. There are some seats that are very near the subwoofer cabinets that are pretty bass heavy. The rock set is very heavy on bass, especially when compared to the folk set.

There are speakers put on the stage all the way across pointed at the fans, but often if you are in the first few rows you get more of the stage sound which is tailored to John and the band's needs for their performance and their raw amplifier sound.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
sharonc
Administrator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:04:15 pm »

I'll reply to this because I get to a lot of shows, as does Sharon. The sound on this tour is generally very exceptional and we see tons of positive comments. The company that John hires to do the sound is the best in the business.

There are always some spots in the house that have less than ideal sound. Generally if you are in the front 10 rows, especially center or right in front of the speakers on the side, the sound can be less than perfect. There are some seats that are very near the subwoofer cabinets that are pretty bass heavy. The rock set is very heavy on bass, especially when compared to the folk set.

There are speakers put on the stage all the way across pointed at the fans, but often if you are in the first few rows you get more of the stage sound which is tailored to John and the band's needs for their performance and their raw amplifier sound.

Ideally if you are looking for optimal sound at any concerts seats close to the front are not your best bet. Visually for sure!

Here is some fan video from an ordinary camera nothing professional and not tied into the soundboard from that particular show to check out the sound difference being back in the venue. 

Cherry Bomb

Pink Houses

Scarecrow

Paper In Fire
ashylarry
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »

Those were really good videos of Ontario! If I get another chance to see Mellencamp it will be outdoors where I might be able to move around a bit. The show in Greensboro was not in the coliseum but in the auditorium. Maybe it was too small a venue for the sound co. His new sound is a lot like older johnny cash with robert johnson thrown in to the mix. Is he trying to channel the old musicians of days gone by? I think it was his older fans who went to his show and the fear of being upstaged by an opening act prompted the movie. At any rate lets hear it for the cheap seats.
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 10:15:05 pm »

I love Johnny Cash, John and him were friends. I saw John talk about him in an interview once.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: