John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 10:08:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manchester Apollo, July 1st  (Read 12264 times)
nickson
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »

Just got back to the hotel after tonights greater than great performance by Mr. Mellencamp and the band. Wonderful show, I got goose bumps, I can't stop smiling and I even got a little misty-eyed a couple of times. Soo worth the tickets, the trip from Sweden & the hotel!
andrewabrown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:25:02 am »

Yes, fantatsic show

http://youtu.be/SaNzGRq3uKI
si90

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:28 am »

Hello,

To be honest it was curiousity and a cut-price ticket that led me to see J.M. for the first time last night. Apparently he hadn't played in the U.K. for 20 years which ensured that last night had the feel of a real fan's show: you could understand how much it meant to the faithful to see and hear the guy who many would argue has never sold-out.

He has plenty of stories, patter and banter in between songs: he said that he doesn't normally play requests and then proceeded to tell us how he met a charming bloke while strolling around Manchester earlier and then dedicated this fan's song to him. He also mentioned that he aimed to play a ton of songs, so the song you want to hear will probably be aired soon enough!

The style of music veered between folk, blues, rock and a blend of all three: it was played loud, with feeling and was a joy to listen to. The pre-show announcement said that dancing and singing was welcomed by the band and it didn't take too much for the folk on the floor to get up, which is always great to witness.

At times there were up to eight musicians on stage but occasionally it would just be J.M. solo with his acoustic guitar- he held your attention, regardless. To top it all, he hauled a delirious fan from the audience and had him sing a few bars from the closing number, 'R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.'...just splendid!
If it sounds like a great show to you then please go and see him tonight in Hammersmith if you can...I just hope I can see him play before 2031.

Cheers,

Simon.

Lardy, hill-hating bloke. Cycling across the USA this Easter. Trying to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support. Could use a little sponsorship. Thank you.

http://www.bmycharity.com/C2CMAC
stevenhatfield

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:45:28 am »

I have been a fan since 1978 and have waited 30 years to attend a gig of John's in the UK. It was worth the wait and the cost of my middle of the stage B row seat. Like they say 'you only live once so do it in style' My favourite songs Jerry & Full Catastrophe wern't played, but he has such a big back catolouge of songs, that it didn't dissapoint. Just one more thing to say don't leave it another 19 years before he returns to play in UK!!!!!
Heartlandrocker
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:01:20 pm »

Cracking afternoon sitting in the sun,and tiny pub by stage door..drinking with voltages and other fans,while johnstayed cooped up in the tour bus...fans talking all things john and Springsteen! !..a lot of Bruce fans in,who love mellencamp...all in all a great day and brilliant show! !!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: