John Mellencamp Community
April 25, 2024, 04:49:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Exclusive: Watch John Perform His Favorite Blues Song  (Read 9768 times)
sharonc
Administrator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:44 am »

When John taped A&E's Private Sessions With Lynn Hoffman in December he warmed up for the session by playing a song called "Delia" first recorded by Blind Willie McTell 71 years ago as part of producer Alan Lomax's sessions for the Library of Congress. John recently raved about the song to Rolling Stone Online.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »

Thanks a lot for this video!
this is a great version of a great song. last year I was lucky to find a vinyl copy of "The Legendary Library of Congress Session" by Blind Willie McTell. great songs and impressive field notes by John A. Lomax (who did the field-recordings with his son Alan):
" After guiding him to the car I told him I didnt know the way to the hotel. "IŽll show you," said totally Blind Willy. Between us and the hotel were six or eight right angled towns and two places where five or six streets crossed. Chatting all the while with me, Blind Willy called every turn, even mentioning the location of the stop lights. He gave the names of buildings as we passed them. Stored in his mind was an accurate detailed photograph of Atlanta."

McTellŽs original version is a little faster, but John adds his typical flavour and sings much better. sad music is the best music!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: