John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 07:30:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAIN SPOKEN FILM  (Read 11654 times)
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:48 am »

Did anyone watch the Plain Spoken film on Netflix? I was looking forward to it, but was disappointed a bit in the format. I found the voice over during the songs to be more of a distraction, especially when John was speaking from stage, and the voice over was going at same time. I always enjoy John's insight on life, but I would have done it differently.  Perhaps I would have interspersed the interview/voice over in between songs, over archival footage from throughout career? Thoughts?   
posgay
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 11:54:57 am »

My husband and I watched it Sat night and I had forgotten that he was narrating it.  Yes it was sometimes distracting from the music but we enjoyed his commentary.  He lets you into his world a little and gives you some background on how he got to where he is today.  This format does prevent you from really cranking up the volume because when he was talking it was way too loud.  LOL
I thought it was odd that he originally stated he went to NYC for art school but then later he tells you that he went to NYC to try to become a rock star... so which one was it John?
It really doesn't matter, I think he is an extremely talented writer, performer, and artist.  I am so glad that I discovered his music back in the early 80's.  Thanks for all the great years of music, some I liked, some I didn't especially care for, and then some that I got into years later.  I would definitely recommend watching this.
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:11:54 am »

He's even said he went to be a dancer in a few interviews. Maybe he wanted to be a dancing rocking painter? Looks like he made it!

Lisa Norris
Georgia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: