John Mellencamp Community
January 22, 2018, 03:10:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Tom Petty  (Read 330 times)
racketeer
reisa gerber
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »

I had written a sad note as to Tom Petty and his passing but I started to ramble and I deleted it. However, I do not want the time to go bye without letting my feelings out about how sad and momentous this is to me. I am a big Petty fan, although I am not familiar with the Heartbreakers...but my reality focus was on Tom...I knew that he had a kind heart as to his music and that although  "" Here Comes My Girl" was a reject song, that " ...he wouldn't " let go " like most rejectees are just subdued and "split on..." Rejection is my favorite inspiration, and he had music that could help me a lot. Kin of like bridging the only original thing you have with another's words. But, of course, you can say that about any lyric...known or unknown.
I teach a movement class at a social club, which is very important in my life, and I play lots of his music. So, you can only IMAGINE how I felt when a big part of my current dance music just left...so though I may be comin' off weird, I do want to just thank his people, etc., for all the dancing and singing his music has brought me throughout the years.
Free Falling, Out in the Great Wide Open, Runnin' Down a Dream, Here Comes My Girl, Last Dance for Maryjane, I'm Learning to Fly, I Won't Back Down, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around(with Stevie Nicks), Don't Do Me Like That, and my cute fave, No Second Thought, mostly from his greatest hit album, earlier stuff, I guess, just affected me a lot.
And that's all I want to say. This was too early an RIP for my understanding.
Later,
Racketeer
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:43:29 pm by racketeer » Logged

reisa gerber
Aeroplane2
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »

John's tribute to Tom Petty in the Indy Star 10.3.17, all i can say is, so eloquent, John!

"Tom Petty was the Edward Hopper of American songwriters," it begins. "He was a certain kind of bird that had no legs, so he could never land on this earth; he lived his whole life in the sky. And now he will spread his wings and sleep on the wind. His name is written in the stars. John Mellencamp."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: