John Mellencamp Community
March 19, 2024, 05:57:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WRONG DATES  (Read 8515 times)
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:59 am »

As A John Mellencamp fan since 1982, I know when all his records came out over the last 35 years. They are life events, and the soundtrack to my life. That being said, it looks bad when his own people get it wrong. There was a post on the official FB a few days ago that had Lonesome Jubilee coming out "On this day" in 1990.  This is way wrong- any John fan know LJ came out in August of 87- not October of 1990. Then, they just posted that Scarecrow was released "on this day" 32 years ago. They got the 32 years right, but again, Scarecrow was release in September of 1985, not November.  If the folks making these posts, aren't sure, or do not have the time to research, I would just refrain from making this kind of post. I would think it would be embarrassing, coming from the official FB.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:32:23 am by hoss13820 » Logged
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:57:37 am »

As A John Mellencamp fan since 1982, I know when all his records came out over the last 35 years. They are life events, and the soundtrack to my life. That being said, it looks bad when his own people get it wrong. There was a post on the official FB a few days ago that had Lonesome Jubilee coming out "On this day" in 1990.  This is way wrong- any John fan know LJ came out in August of 87- not October of 1990. Then, they just posted that Scarecrow was released "on this day" 32 years ago. They got the 32 years right, but again, Scarecrow was release in September of 1985, not November.  If the folks making these posts, aren't sure, or do not have the time to research, I would just refrain from making this kind of post. I would think it would be embarrassing, coming from the official FB.  

Thank you for noting it. That's the handiwork of John's longtime record label having bad records and access to our social media pages.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:59:30 am »

Good to know that it is not coming from you guys. You woudl think the record company would get it right! I know it may seem trivial to some.
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:10:49 am »

Not to me either. I'm just like you; those dates are attached to my life. I knew right away that the date for Lonesome Jubliee was off because I remember that it came out before I went in the Air Force and that it kept being delayed. I believe it was supposed to be released early August (maybe late July) 1987. I kept going to the record store to pick it up (I know I could have called but...) and every week it wasn't in yet. It got to the point that I would walk in the door and the store employees would stop what they were doing and yell "It's not in yet!". They were some happy people when it finally arrived! I was too.

Lonesome Jubilee was released before I went into basic training on Sept 20, 1987. I had my walkman and all my John Mellencamp cassettes with me but all of those items were locked in a closet the day you check in. Going that long without listening to John was terrible!

Best,
Lisa in Georgia
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:08:54 am »

I have a lot of those similar stories..Especially with Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee. Back before the days of internet to keep up with such things. As I type this, they did it again with UH-uh. Having it released 34 years ago today....It was released in October, not November.
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 12:44:28 pm »

I have a lot of those similar stories..Especially with Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee. Back before the days of internet to keep up with such things. As I type this, they did it again with UH-uh. Having it released 34 years ago today....It was released in October, not November.

We discussed this with the label. The best we could find in our records was a November release, even though Wikipedia says October, our notes, and articles that we could find, reference today's date as the release, so the label went with what they had.

Does any one have anything concrete about the October release date?

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:30:44 am »

I think the October date on Wikipedia is correct. I definitely had it before November 1983, because I got it for my Birthday that year, which is in October.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: