John Mellencamp Community
April 28, 2024, 02:36:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenosha News "Plain Spoken" Review  (Read 3452 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:25:07 am »

John Mellencamp is in fine form on new album

By Dan Pavelich

John Mellencamp hasn’t released an album of new material since 2010’s “No Better Than This.”

Before going into the studio to record his latest, Mellencamp claims to have amassed some 85 tunes, which then were whittled down to 10 by himself and producer T Bone Burnett.

The good news is, Mellencamp has finally found a way to blend his love of both folk and pop music. This is something he’s struggled with in the past decade or two, which I think is the reason his last few albums have failed to find success. As Mellencamp tried to position himself as the new Woody Guthrie, his fans inched farther away.

“Plain Spoken” is presented in stripped-back, T Bone Burnett fashion, with mostly acoustic guitar and violin holding up the tunes. “Troubled Man” is one of Mellencamp’s best lonesome songs, followed by the wondering “Sometimes There’s God.” In the latter, Mellencamp ponders why God seems to be present at certain times and absent at others.

Although “Freedom of Speech” might be seen as a political song, it’s got a definite Ricky Nelson vibe that’ll set your toe tapping. It reminds me a bit of “Garden Party” — and is every bit as memorable. Likewise, the beautiful ballad “Blue Charlotte” has been bouncing around in my noggin since I first heard it, a few days ago.

Mellencamp has gone on record lately, saying he doesn’t really consider himself to be part of the music industry anymore. In my opinion, that’s a good thing, as a new artist presenting “Plain Spoken” wouldn’t stand the slightest chance of getting signed to a record deal today. These songs are really good, and discerning ears will find them. This is one of Mellencamp’s absolute best.

http://www.kenoshanews.com/entertainment/john_mellencamp_is_in_fine_form_on_new_album_479283089.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: