John Mellencamp Community
April 18, 2024, 03:32:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John's Last Three Albums  (Read 7952 times)
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:01:14 pm »

With the Life Death, Love & Freedom, No Better Than This and Plain Spoken albums, John has put out the best music of his career.  Lyrically and musically there's a rich and soulful sound.  There is so much emotion.  Emotion we all feel.  In some ways John is the Bob Dylan/Pete Seeger/Woody Guthrie of the 21st century.  That's quite an achievement.  John at 63 is still the angry rebel he was as a young Johnny Cougar.  He just grew up.

Each on of the last 3 albums is fantastic.  They all have something special about them.

Mike   
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:25:13 pm »

Although more of a rock album than the last three ''i see it as a transitional album'' Freedom's Road was no slouch. I think at the moment there isn't a better songwriter out there, that includes Dylan, Paul Simon, Richard Thompson etc... forget Springsteen, not even close, his more recent work pales in comparison.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:22:53 am »

I hadn't thought about Freedom's Road when I posted the original message but I agree, it's also and excellent album.  It also has some dark elements as the last three albums do.  John is, without a doubt, among today's best singer/songwriters.

Mike
shakeyjrc
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:20:07 am »

I most certainly agree! Since Freedom Road John has been my favorite songwriter, Neil Young is my #1 favorite artist but John's songwriting since Freedom Road has been so much better than Neil's.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 12:23:50 pm »

100% agree your opinion about his last albums. he is constantly writing great songs, his creativity doesn´t seem to end.  where others reached their top level some 30 years ago, John´s consistency is astonishing.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:47 am »

It's great to hear how John's writing has changed and evolved throughout his career.  He continues to delve deep within himself to put the words and music out.  It's a treat to hear.  I'm sure John will continue on this journey of self discovery and storytelling about all the aspects of life.

Mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: