John Mellencamp Community
April 29, 2024, 06:20:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Brothers 10 day presentation coming in September  (Read 13889 times)
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »

Found article about it. It's a 10 day presentation. They already not giving it a good review.

Here is the article:

Stephen King-John Mellencamp Musical — Panned Already–Persists to NYC

Did you know that Stephen King and John Mellencamp teamed up for a musical recently? It’s called “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County,” and it opened last spring in Atlanta to very poor reviews.
Variety wrote:  “The pairing of roots rocker John Mellencamp and horror scribe Stephen King for a Southern Gothic musical may sound irresistible. But it takes more than a groove and gore to make this tedious tale of brotherly bile work on stage. Sketchy character development, awkward staging and unclear storytelling make prospects for future life iffy beyond this world preem at Atlanta’s Alliance Theater… the principal weakness is King’s unfocused storytelling. The pairs of brothers are ill-defined beyond a few broad strokes and the dialogue is clunky and crude. (“It’s the heaven that’s got lost and that’s the hell of it.”)”
Well, that’s not stopping this crowd from trying to bring the show to New York.
Director Susan V. Booth– who was cited as the cause of much of the trouble–has scheduled presentations in New York in late September for ten days. T. Bone Burnett is the musical director. A casting notice has gone out for a Zydeco cowboy. But if the show hasn’t changed since its Atlanta run. it’s doubtful money people will clamor to invest in it. But you never know. Last year we saw the terrible “Rebecca” in a backers workshop and it’s coming to Broadway no matter what anyone says.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/07/12/stephen-king-john-mellencamp-musical-panned-already-persists-to-nyc?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=stephen-king-john-mellencamp-musical-panned-already-persists-to-nyc
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:52:25 am by sheilafarmer » Logged
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

i have seen mixed review on this play. mostly not good. from what i heard it flopped in atlantic city, which mindboggles me as to why go to nyc. i knew this play wasnt going anywhere and it still wont. just like the movie "fall from grace" too many musicians try to go beyond their league and try going "hollywood" such as k rogers, j cash, w nelson, k kristopherson and others and it didnt pan out. music is their league and this i feel is where their gifts and talents are and should remain. not saying they shouldnt spread their wings to try new things, but if it doesnt fit in it just dont fit. so why keep trying.
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:20:18 am »

i have seen mixed review on this play. mostly not good. from what i heard it flopped in atlantic city, which mindboggles me as to why go to nyc. i knew this play wasnt going anywhere and it still wont. just like the movie "fall from grace" too many musicians try to go beyond their league and try going "hollywood" such as k rogers, j cash, w nelson, k kristopherson and others and it didnt pan out. music is their league and this i feel is where their gifts and talents are and should remain. not saying they shouldnt spread their wings to try new things, but if it doesnt fit in it just dont fit. so why keep trying.

Don't think you are recalling things right. There was a bad review of it in one of the New York papers, a review written by a person who actually didn't go to the play which was very odd. It was all "my sources tell me". It got good reviews in Atlanta GA (not Atlantic City) and the national press that came generally praised it, while pointing out some of its flaws. That's very common in an all new production. John's music was universally hailed as being the high point of the show.

The show was a "hit" in Atlanta. It did their biggest single show sales of anything on their schedule for the past season and they were ecstatic for how it did being an unknown production with audiences the size they usually have for their more nationally known productions.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 09:46:27 am »

thanks tonyb, i meant atlantic city, however im going by some of the reviews i have read. theres all kinds all over the internet, so we just cant base it in one area of critics. many people from different areas went to see that play. and then theyre probably reporters who didnt bother saying anything. so it being new of course its not unusual for mixed reviews. however, mcmurty was well known for "lonesome dove" which i dearly love and helped write the story for "fall from grace" and it went down the tubes.  s king is well known for his scary stories and helped with this project and i have seen more negative then positive reviews. its a well known fact that when musicians come out of their own league like i stated it usually doesnt work for them. tho i can say they give it a fiery chance. but too many have been shot down in flames. and i believe this is happening to john too. just because they may have some main back up like big name backers dont mean anything such as writers like mcmurty or king and yes john is a big rock star, still dont mean nothing.

oh well enough of this. people are gona think and write whatever
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:15:55 am by geegee » Logged
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:22 pm »

Interesting because I read all of the reviews and only saw the one that could be considered as negative. People believe what they want to believe.

I would really like to see this play.  I just hope it doesn't fall during tax season once again.
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 05:04:59 pm »

not only have i seen article reviews, however, i read the individual comments that some people have to say. everyone entitled to their own opinion. i already stated mine. i would like to see john get back into making some good rock music. i like the "upbeat john". the last couple of years sound like "downbeat john". and john knows how to write good kick butt music too. so with that "will the real john please come forward!!!!!!"
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:47:11 pm »

i would like to see john get back into making some good rock music. and john knows how to write good kick butt music too. so with that "will the real john please come forward!!!!!!"

JM has mentioned in interviews that the next album will be a "rock record,"  So there ya go.

The show was a "hit" in Atlanta. It did their biggest single show sales of anything on their schedule for the past season and they were ecstatic for how it did being an unknown production with audiences the size they usually have for their more nationally known productions
Great! From the way JM and SK talk, They are very proud of it and want to see it expand and more people to see it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:07:06 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:29:36 pm »

yeah mellenfan thats what i heard. i believe john has stuff written from years ago i bet if he was to put together, stuff we never heard before or has never been released in any way at all, would be a great rock record album just waiting to happen that has already been sitting on the shelf collecting dust

found this interesting video. just goes to show john knows how to write kick butt music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QXxLq01W8
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »

I found some of those reviews that were posted on this forum. Yes some were not that great, but I think the NYTimes one would be a concern since they are trying to get played in NYC.
I personally am not a fan of Steven King, the only book turned to a movie I liked was Secret Window with Johnny Depp. I think his stories are Demonic and the story starts off good and pulls you in and then the endings sucks.

I was however, surprised they were trying to get it in NYC since John was against it.
Here that Interview on forum:
http://www.mellencamp.com/news.html?n_id=1607

Here are the reviews:
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947386
Legit reviews

http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/theater/reviews/stephen-king-and-john-mellencamps-musical-ghost-brothers.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&ref=theater&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1350180857-JJ3dTOsX/0XzKeprGZ5laA

New York Times review

http://clatl.com/atlanta/past-haunts-present-in-the-alliance-theatres-long-awaited-ghost-brothers/Content?oid=5199028
Posted By Walktall

On this forum

http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/ghost-brothers-of-darkland-1415099.html?cxtype=rss_events&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted By mellenfan

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947386

Posted By Mellenfan

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:46:32 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:26:50 am »

People believe what they want to believe.

I would really like to see this play.  

I would not mind seeing it myself. The music is supposed to be amazing.
Maybe it will make it to L.A. too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:33:23 am by Mellenfan71 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: