John Mellencamp Community
April 24, 2024, 06:50:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for New Song  (Read 5379 times)
MArthur123
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:11 am »

Hi -- This is the first time I've ever posted anything or communicated on the mellencamp site, so please excuse me if I don't do this appropriately. If I recall, when a TV interviewer asked John within the last year or two, "What is your favorite Mellencamp song?"  He replied, "I haven't written it yet."  Maybe I'm imagining. But I had an idea. My ex-fiance/on & off again boyfriend wrote several beautiful poems about me/us when we first met in March 2008. We got engaged in '09 for a wedding in '10 that didn't take place. I took him to John's concert in Indy last month. He hasn't written any poems since those first few months in '08 (funny!) but they were quite striking...at least to me. He isn't a songwriter...he's a car dealer. What if John converted his words into a song? That would be incredible. What if it became his favorite?  WOW!  I asked the boyfriend if it would be okay to submit his words to you and he said "sure." He just said John would have to take us to dinner as a trade off if he uses them. Then he laughed. Even though I've been a published magazine writer, I know nothing about lyrics. Since John is the pro, he might be able to do something with these words or thoughts.  Please let me know if you want the poems and how I can submit them. I wouldn't want the whole website to see them, of course. Is there a P.O. Box you would like for me to write?  Or I could meet John for coffee and hand deliver them.  My email is [email protected]. I'm on facebook and can be found with Michelle Arthur of Indianapolis.  Thanks.   
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »

Hi -- This is the first time I've ever posted anything or communicated on the mellencamp site, so please excuse me if I don't do this appropriately. If I recall, when a TV interviewer asked John within the last year or two, "What is your favorite Mellencamp song?"  He replied, "I haven't written it yet."  Maybe I'm imagining. But I had an idea. My ex-fiance/on & off again boyfriend wrote several beautiful poems about me/us when we first met in March 2008. We got engaged in '09 for a wedding in '10 that didn't take place. I took him to John's concert in Indy last month. He hasn't written any poems since those first few months in '08 (funny!) but they were quite striking...at least to me. He isn't a songwriter...he's a car dealer. What if John converted his words into a song? That would be incredible. What if it became his favorite?  WOW!  I asked the boyfriend if it would be okay to submit his words to you and he said "sure." He just said John would have to take us to dinner as a trade off if he uses them. Then he laughed. Even though I've been a published magazine writer, I know nothing about lyrics. Since John is the pro, he might be able to do something with these words or thoughts.  Please let me know if you want the poems and how I can submit them. I wouldn't want the whole website to see them, of course. Is there a P.O. Box you would like for me to write?  Or I could meet John for coffee and hand deliver them.  My email is [email protected]. I'm on facebook and can be found with Michelle Arthur of Indianapolis.  Thanks.   

Hate to be a downer but John has a very strict policy about not accepting outside material. Lyricists typically need to try to work with a publishing company that then pitches songs to artists who are looking for songs or lyrics.

Artists like John, who write 90% or more of material by themselves, can't open themselves up to the legal risks of reviewing other people's words or music. Often people who send unsolicited music/lyrics have then sued artists claimed that they were stolen from when there is a common lyric or theme.

Best wishes to you none the less.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
MArthur123
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:54:56 am »

Oh, I see...I certainly wouldn't want to do anything to cause any risks. No worries. Thanks for letting me know.  Best wishes to you too.  Michelle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: