John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 04:42:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-discovery & request to John  (Read 6577 times)
nevan
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:12:12 am »

Living just outside Tokyo, I wasn't physically affected by the earthquake. However mentally I was.
For instance I completely stopped listening to music. The first time ever this happened. At least ten days this situation continued. Then I had to visit Tokyo and afterwards visited a record shop, they
still exist. I looked in John's section and found an album I didn't recognise. Title was 'Rumbleseat',
June 18th, 1986. Two LP set, a bootleg. Usually I'm wary because of sound quality, but this was
380 yen, price of two newspapers. It turned out to be the 'Scarecrow' tour live in Japan. Sound
quality is reasonable, not the complete concert. I hadn't listened to John's music for a long time.
This album made me return to his cds and records I have. The music, joyful, thoughtful, was still as
good, but the feelings listening from Johnny Cougar up to John Mellencamp were very different
because of the situation. I got a deeper understanding of his lyrics, and the power not only to cry,
but also to start  laughing  again. Thanks John from the bottom of my heart.
Now a REQUEST to John. I'm Irish, You're bringing your tour to Ireland, of course I can't go. People
in Ireland as well as all over the world have responded amazingly to help Japan. Could you give a
shout out to the Irish people and send the love to Japan. Please sing 'Common day man'. It's
probably not in your set list. Please do it for the working people, elderly, and all who are suffering so much, but show so much strength, and to remember all those who died.
Please come to Japan soon, Japanese fans are waiting. My living room is small but you could start
the tour there.

Nevan.
nevan
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:00:45 am »

I realised I didn't give the full reason I stopped listening to music. Japanese has had 24 hour
coverage of the earthquake. That's 24 hours every day showing the devastation and in particular
people's heartbreaking stories. So it was partly mental stress, as well as feeling, that out of respect
I should refrain from listening to music.
I believe in the healing power of music, and that John's music is crucial to me in understanding
that. Yes there is a time to cry, but also we should follow what some people in the affected areas
are saying and stop mourning. They want people to move.  John's music shows me both sides, laughter and tears.

Nevan.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: